Sunday, February 04, 2007

Early Light a painting a day

early light


This little gem was painted yesterday on a new (for me) ground. It is called AMPERSAND or GESSOBORD. I thought I would try out a small piece ( 3 by 5) Compared to watercolor paper, Its almost too easy to paint on, I could get used to this. It wipes out completely back to white, it didn't glaze so well ( tends to pick up the last layer of paint,) but it takes very wet washes as well as thick dry paint. The transparency of the paint is actually helped by the super whiteness of the ground. Because it isn't as absorbent as paper, the color stays wet and workable for a long time. I painted this little piece quickly and easily without any problems. I just painted it from my imagination started with the background. I painted the flowers negatively as I would do in watercolor. I'm sure it lends itself to mixed media and can be varnished or sprayed to fix the color.

If it isn't too expensive I may buy some larger pieces of the stuff because you don't have to use glass which would save some money and looks like watercolor without the framing costs. I wouldn't need mats either which get expensive.

If you are familiar with this product let me know what to expect, I don't want to make an investment in more art supplies only to find something isn't working till I've already made the commitment.

The price on this little piece is $25.00 USD and can be shipped to you for an additional $3.00 ASAP.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Shanti, this new one is lovely. I have tried textured clayboard too. It feels and paints funny, but the colors stay brilliant. See you on the list.
Martha Keim-St. Louis
======================
Martha Keim-St. Louis
mdstlouis@frontiernet.net
mkstl@mac.com

painter

http://homepage.mac.com/mkstl
http://www.aquanetart.com
http://marthakeimstlouis.blogspot.com/

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Shanti - I have used about four different sizes of this textured clayboard and like it well. I use the 4x4 inch squares, paint them in Southwestern rock colors and then lift out petroglyph shapes. This ground is so liftable, as you found, that it works very well for these....I have sold every one I have made. They are sold on tiny, inexpensive, Lucite plate stands and are unframed....sort of like painted tiles.

I am more fond of this ground for the petroglyphs and some flowers (those not requiring glazes, as you found), for some reason my landscapes have not been as likeable to me. But, as you say, you can scrub out a painting and start again.

Susan

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Shanti,

You asked about fixative. I use the Clayboard fixative that I bought when I bought my first pieces of the clayboard. It has worked well to seal the surface, without changing the color much, if at all. Some people, I have heard, use the Krylon spray as a fixative, but since I have the spray made for clayboard that is all I have used.

Susan