Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Evening Newsstand - A painting a day

Evening newsstand
Evening Newsstand

I painted this small watercolor today while in our new open studio group. An open studio is essentially a place where artists get together each working independently on their own projects . Our group is small right now only eight members, because we have only been taking on new members by invitation. We hope to build up the membership into a larger group as we see how things progress.

Open studios are a great way for artists to get together for fellowship and in some ways it can be a creative think tank. We bounce ideas off of one another and critique the work if asked. Its a non-competitive atmosphere where an artist can work with other artists while doing their own thing. Producing art is a solitary endeavor most of the time with artists working alone in their studios. An open studio gives you a chance to work side by side with other artists and to see how each person develops a piece of art work. Its great for all artists and I encourage you to attend an open studio if you have not done so. This piece is a bit smaller then most of my pieces and is for sale for $25.00 USD. Size is 4 by 5.75 inches.

1 comment:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Shanti,

I couldn't agree more with you regarding the open studio concept. My community art club is set up with open studio days for all the media, with watercolor being Thursday afternoons. A week without my attending open studio on watercolor day is sad for me. I need the stimulation and support from my fellow watercolorists, especially when I have been painting daily on my own, at home. It is too much of a vacuum to not have the critiques and great ideas shared when working with others.

Susan