Friday, October 20, 2006

Koiliedescope- A painting a day




I took this painting to the frame shop this morning. I’m entering it into a local art league juried show in November. Lets hope it gets in. I had several more ideas to incorporate, but decided to leave it alone. Sometimes less is more. I hope the composition is strong enough to entice the Juror.
It’s being frame in a 2 inch Mahogany wood frame and measures 18″ by 24 inches. I ‘m no word smith so my husband names these larger pieces for me. He is doing the Koi series names which are Koi nundrum, Koiillision, Koiincidence you get the idea. Speak up if you can think of another one.
Speaking of Juried shows…
Tomorrow’s going to be a busy day for me. I am the Chairperson for another art group. I will not have an entry in this show as I’m there with the juror to help with the process of putting this show together. It’s always difficult because I would love it, if all the art entered could be displayed. Of course this can’t happen & only a certain number of pieces will fit into the space. My guess is about 70larger pieces. I will have the sad task of calling artists with the news that their work has been declined.
I try to be positive, but how do you tell someone their work wasn’t selected.? If anyone has any comments or advice, perhaps some words to say to let an artists know his/ her work was not selected. I would love to hear from you. How has this worked for you? I can use all the help I can get. I can’t even say the word “rejected” to any artist.
I know the feeling when my work gets declined (see, I didn’t say rejected) for a show. I open the mail and there it is, the dreaded rejection slip. I used to throw them out, but now they are part of the process and I proudly display them on my bulletin board, I must have at least a dozen. My dear friends will always support me and tell me their crazy blabla bla, but it’s tough. Sometimes I think I shouldn’t enter these shows but to be honest, I get in more than not and I do feel very special when my work is being displayed along side of other aritst’s work whom I admire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that a real cool painting

PaintingEachDay said...

Shanti, I am so drawn to the Koi paintings... the opacity and transparency is a beautiful mix. So well done!! I've always been lured in by paintings of fish. Also...What a charmed life ... growing up on a vineyard! Best wishes for the exhibiition -- Ann

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I would select this painting as the winner! You have painted movement, I can feel the water splash upon my face as the fish dance underneath!

Shanti Marie said...

Thank You for all the kind comments!