Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Shrine in the Mist A painting a day

http://wildacres.org/
I placed the link to Wild Acres for those of you who may be interested in this place. Besides groups they have a residency program. You can even apply on-line.
The food is home cooked and good, they will do Kosher, vegan, and other restricted diet foods if needed but usually everyone eats family style at large round tables in a dinning hall. Its the atmosphere I love and that can't be described.
The Feeling of total freedom to work without interruption. The support of others and a beautiful location all make it a great place to create. I don't think they have Air conditioning so if you have problems with heat don't go in summer. Also if your cell phone is permanently attached to your ear, you may have some anxiety issues. There is no phone ( well there is and old black desk phone hidden in a closet which is a collect call phone ). some of us had to try our cell phones. I finally made one call. I walked around the place looking for a signal. I felt like those nuts in one of those cell phone commercials. "can you hear me now?" Finally, I found one spot ( one bar out of four) I had to climb up to the second level, stand out on the edge of this deck, hold my phone away from my body, use the speaker and Voila I was talking. No problem well not if youdon't mind hanging over the edge of a rail, while looking down at a fifty foot drop.

OK , so it is isolated. No TVs or Computers. Its only open during the warm weather months because the road is gravel for a mile or so, the last leg up to the lodge. Good thing I have four wheel drive, but you didn't need it. In two weeks it will close for winter, I guess they get some snow.
Last weekend there were five groups, there was a choir, a teacher's group, some potters, a religious group and another art group all there at the same time. All I can say is I didn't know singers were so thirsty. Every night I stayed up late and could hear them all around the BIG fireplace. Later I went up to find a very happy group.
The choir sang a short song before every meal which was very special.
If your used to four star accommodations this isn't for you, but if you love the outdoors, good food, in a relaxed atmosphere, one that allows you the needed time to concentrate on your art, you will love it.
You don't have to be with any of the groups that go up to Wild Acres you just have to contact them and ask to be added to their roster and pay the group rate. The fees are more than reasonable.
I have decided to help with the arangements for our group next year. I just hope I can wait.

2 comments:

ANDREW TAYLOR said...

Wow this looks a great place. I've been out for singing practise tonight, with our Madrigal group. We do get thirsty and often go to the pub afterwards for a drink and chat; they're a great group of friends.

Shanti Marie said...

Sounds like great fun!