Monday, December 11, 2006

Country path - A painting a day

Green Acres
This isn’t my usual subject matter. I have painted a few barns over the years but I feel this painting is more about the small path then it is about the barn off in the distance. I love tree lined roads and walkways or paths. The shadows mixed with the sunlight always intrigues me.
Size is 15 by 22 on 300 Lb paper

After some study, I have found that if I were to paint this painting again, I think I would make the sky warmer near the horizon and a little darker near the top. I would give a little more drama to the path by doing more shadows across the road and bringing up the value. The contrast would then be greater between the path and the grasses which would be juxaposed to the shadows, also it wouls help give this painting even more feeling of asmosphere. I’ll leave this alone and perhaps remembe this for another day. Thats what daily painting is all about. It gives you the freedom to try things without the stress or pressure of sales. You learn something from these studies and incoporate the good stuff and leave behind things that just don’t work or are less susessful.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

This scene reminds me of a stormy one you did not long ago that I particularly liked, because it was done predominantly in browns. Is this a real place?