Sunday, December 03, 2006

Eggcellent! A Painting A Day

egg
here is the second run at it...


egg



Laying in bed in a pre dawn slumber my first thought of the day was about this painting. I knew I had to paint an egg for todays painting and I hadn’t started it yet. I’ve painted eggs before and didn’t find them particularly difficult so I waited till the last minute. Laying there in bed, my eyes closed, the montage began, first an egg laying in a nest appeared, the grasses and twigs looking like ribbons from nature,then it was replaced by a little egg with legs and big black shoes, cartoon like and cute, His big lips mouthing something, then a basket of eggs appeared with each egg falling out of the basket and rolling in slow motion over a counter onto the tile floor. The yellow yolks laying in a pool of clear egg white with the white tile and grey grout showing thru the raw egg, organic and yet geometrical all at once. Before I could fully comprehend the composition, and as quickly as that image began another appears, I see a mouse, (I recognize him as my little mouse I have painted before)he is pushing an egg, I mean putting his little shoulder into it, and really trying to get it to roll. a few inches over to the side is his little mouse hole,the kind you used to see in the cartoons,this obviously is his destination. I see by the size of the egg he’ll never get it into the hole and it makes me laugh inside. Suddenly I see visions of china tea cups all sitting out on a lace table cloth. Each filled with Easter egg coloring. A different color in each cup and nestled down into the liguid laying under the dye, an egg, each basking in their bright new coats of color. The porcelain cups are ringed in gold and the refection of the liquid is mezmerising. Jolting me out of my morning montage, a big yellow lab jumps up on the bed and I’m up, my day has begun.

As you can see I didn’t paint any of them, but I will remember some of those images for later. I wanted to paint some bright eggs with a dark background, but with errands and all sorts of other activities I didn’t get started till about 7 pm. I did draw several mice and also a teacup with an egg laying inside and several other ideas before I decided on the colored eggs. Here it is 10:15 and I’m putting up my daily painting finished or not. I can’t stay up too late,I get up at the crack of dawn so maybe tomarrow I’ll paint the background darker and put in the shadows. we’ll see. I'll try to put it into another daily post so you can see it finished.

No comments: