Saturday, August 26, 2006


I believe most artists struggle. Either they can't seem to get down their vision of what they want or they don't know what they want, (they'll know it, if they see it). I think this struggle is part of the process. Its too bad because of this constant push/ pull it sometimes seems not to be worth the effort. Its why some people give up doing their art. Also, I see people giving up their art because they don't have enough buyers. Buyers equate "good artist". No buyers (not counting family and friends) means not a good artist. This definitely is not the case.
We live in an age when people will buy a Persian rug for their dining area, cover their sofa in silks, and import tiles from Italy to decorate their home tastefully and expensively, yet these same people will have pictures of art rather original art on every wall in their house. They will pay more for a custom frame and mat then for an original piece of art. Go into any model home these days, same thing, prints everywhere. Most from 18th and 19 th century artists. I guess they feel pretty good or safe rather, that this art cannot be denied as good art. It has stood the test of time. The truth is... I think people don't trust their own judgment when it comes to choosing art. They need someone to tell them what is good art. But who? Do you trust Gallery owners? Especially when they are getting 50% of the profits? Do you trust your own decorator who is going to choose a piece of art because it matches a sofa? You have to admit, even I may not pay some of the high prices for some art, especially when it appears to have been painted with a stick and a rag. People don't like to be taken advantage of and they don't like to admit they don't "know" art. The other problem is a simple one, people don't appreciate original art in the US as much as in many other cultures around the globe. Now and as in the past, art was OK as long as it was something to do as a hobby but not as a career. It isn't real work. We have a very strong work ethic in this county and some parents often put creativity in the back seat while encouraging productive hard work, left brain thinking.

So, if we don't buy original art and we encourage our kids to do anything but become artists, and we don't support the arts in schools what we are we saying?

Its no wonder today artists may feel as though it isn't worth the effort, that the struggle to produce good art is just that, a struggle.


As an artist I'll remind you, of a few important things.
1. Its takes a very long time to become proficient at something as complex as art. Be a lifelong student; don't plan to figue it all out right now. It really is about the journey, not the destination.

2. Don't take the advice from lay people. Use your intuition and advice from mentors.

3. You will set yourself up for a big fall if you measure yourself as an artist by sales. Do whatever you enjoy doing, even if no one buys it. Hey, it's cheaper than therapy.

5 comments:

Jai Johnson • JaiArt.Com said...

Great post Shanti! I love point #3...cheaper than therapy - you are so right! Of course I also suffer with this issue of family/friends...seems as soon as I get into my art really, really good and get focused and am really enjoying myself, they want to start something with me...which then pulls my focus away from my goals. Being an artist is tough in alot of respects, that's for sure! But maybe that's what makes us create such beautiful pieces? And by the way, thanks for visiting my blog recently, and I wanted to tell you I think your work is AWESOME! Keep it up!

Jai

Gayle Wheatley said...

I completely agree with you here! Keep up the painting & love the blog! -G http://www.gaylewheatley.com/blog

Gayle Wheatley said...

I completely agree with you here! Keep up the painting & love the blog! -G http://www.gaylewheatley.com/blog

Beth Lee said...

A lot of wisdom in this post! I'll enjoy going back through your blog.

michelle giacobello said...

Goodness Shanti,
Thanks for putting all of that out there.

I struggle constantly as an artist, and sometimes feel disheartened by lack of sales. It has always floored me that people would rather pay for a mass-reproduced and nicely framed print than original art, but it never occurred to me that it could be because they didn't trust their own judgement.

I think you hit the nail on the head there and I'm very grateful to have heard that today.

Bless you Shanti!