Friday, August 25, 2006


Since I will be busy on Sat. I decided to put this painting up for Saturday, as it is definitely a companion piece to the last painting. I painted them side by side and of-course they have the same feel.














Right now I'm struggling with another large full sheet 22 by 30 piece which I thought I had this all thought out but as things will have it, something went wrong..... Very wrong....

Here it is and as you can see it is sitting on my paint table and is looking a little bleak. I painted the back ground in as I usually do and painted around the three foreground subjects but thought it would be fun to pour some ink into the watercolors. Since I wasn't too sure about this ink, I figured, I better mask over the foreground objects... Guess what? My masked stuff was too old and stuck to the paper like glue. I had to use paint thinner to get it off and as such I'm pretty sure the oil in the thinner would repel the susequent layers of watercolors. So go to plan B which was no plan at all but then I thought, I'll go with pastels...

Now its taken off in another direction and I've lost my road map. Any advice would be helpful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks for your encouraging note at my blog.

I like the loose quality of your paintings. I want to aim for that more and more, to almost (but not quite) an abstract level.

One trick I've picked up (by reading how some of the old guys did these things) is the useful role of chinese white, not as a colour but as a way to redo. Maybe in that one where you've had problems with the masking, you can put down a layer or so of Chinese white and then paint on that. It might serve as a barrier.

Pardon my forwardness in making this suggestion...

I'm a nut about watercolour books... just bought another today: The Watercolorist's Essential Notebook: Landscapes by Gordon MacKenzie. Lots of good tips by an experienced painter.

Regards