Wednesday, August 23, 2006


While thinking about all of these paintings laying about the house, studio and of course stored at various galleries, I have come upon several artists selling on e bay or making miniature paintings every day and selling these small paintings to the highest bidder. As with most things in my life I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I think; great idea, you get to paint something everyday, (the dream of any artist) and someone will actually see these paintings other then your three dogs and husband ( also a big fantasy of most artists). On the other hand I think its a bit of a gimmick. It seems less about the art work and more about the procedure of buying. But I admit, it seems to work.
I have always believed that the art speaks for itself and if it touches someone they will probably buy it. Just because I believe it doesn't make it true of course. I have found over the years as I watch people looking at art, they do not trust their own judgment when choosing art and will take the opinion of another to give them confidence that the piece their buying isn't crap. There is a need for someone to be that person, a gallery owner, art connoisseur or even just a friend, to tell the buyer, they are making a good decision. The need to be talked into buying the art. This painting a day works because it is buying on a small scale with very little commitment on the part of the buyer. It also allows one to collect and be a collector of fine art without the layout of thousands of dollars.

I understand the need for the artist to at least pay for all of these thousands of dollars of art supplies that one has accumulated over the years, plus art instruction and the need for their art to be seen. I also understand that most people don't want to pay the high prices most artists have to charge because of gallery fees. I don't understand why original art isn't respected in the USA and why artists have to work so hard to sell original works. I hate sales, I admit it, most artists aren't very good at self promotion or marketing. Somehow I can't get myself to tell potential buyers how great my work really is. So I let others sell my work.

recently I sold a small painting for $100.00 and I got a nice note from the buyer saying they loved the piece. I also got a check for $62.00 after the galleries commission was taken out. After paying for the framing, the supplies and the time of hauling it up town, I think the one thing that made it all worthwhile was the note.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Being fairly new to canvas painting, I chose the painting a day idea just to force myself to develop some discipline. If something sells that would be nice, but it isn't the impetus for my project.

I enjoyed your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks
Christina