Sunday, January 07, 2007

Camp Thunder-bird Island a painting a day

Thunderbird Island
This landscape painting is of a little island which sits in the lake just off shore of Camp Thunder-bird. This camp is pretty active in summer with kids of all ages running, jumping, swimming and basically having a great time. When I've gone over there during the summer months, I'm shocked to see this micro world of children which exists just a block or so away from my home. Its like a little village of kids. The noise level as well as the energy level is very high and it seems to the casual observer, that there are few adults. The counselors just look like taller or bigger versions of their charges. Now, during winter there are just the grounds keeper and several counselors living there. They don't mind me coming over as I have sketched the log cabin chapel and several other landmarks for them. It's truly beautiful there in winter with the mist rising off the water and the colorful canoes are all stacked on the shore. Its another world because its quiet and serene with all the little cabins siting in a row, patiently waiting for the return of another years crop of campers. Only the occasional Blue Heron to break the silenced of the morning fog.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

I love the misty look, as it brings back some really good memories of night fishing on a lake near our home and seeing the dawn over the water.

Shanti Marie said...

I haven't ever fished in fog, I think I would be too busy sketching and photographing.

thanks for your comments