Monday, January 08, 2007

Winter's Solitude A painting a day & and a lesson

winter's solitude


Its raining here in South Carolina but I thought it would be nice if it would snow. I painted this little tree with a palette knife. Its an easy technique and gives very natural marks for things like trees and rocks. For trees, first you mix up paint to the consistency of creme. It cannot be sticky nor can it be drippy. You take a clean palette knife ( you need to use vinegar or lemon to clean any oils from the blade) You take the knife and place it into you paint, flat,then you take the knife and place the tip onto the paper, You pull upward with the tip of the palette knife on your paper making long thin lines. You carefully decide where to place these marks, but the action itself must be fast and decisive. This gives you a natural appearance to a tree or shrub. You can wait till it drys and lift out areas if you feel it is too dark. The lifted out areas can be toned or left with the stain of the last application. either way it looks great.

The snow is a combination of burnt sienna and cobalt blue. Both have granulating qualities which gives the snow life.

The green hills are green and red mixed with sepia. The hills in the back are the blue snow mixture for one and the blue mixture with a little red added for the other it makes a soft lavender. OK so now you have it....go paint... Its fun!


This is a follow up to this post:snow image
I received this picture fromWendy, one of my readers, here are her comments
"When I read in your description it was from your imagination I thought Wow, I have to send this picture to you !It is in my back yard in Maribel Wisconsin and the valley is part of the Niagara Escarpment. Amazing they are so very similar."
Wendy
Yes it is amazing! Do you hear the theme music to the twilight zone or is that just me?

5 comments:

Marion said...

It feels as if I could just fall right into your painting, Shanti...I find it so beautiful!

ANDREW TAYLOR said...

I agree with Marion's comment. Very lovely trees, and thanks for the technical description.

Shanti Marie said...

Thank you, your comments make my day a little brighter.

HeidiSequim said...

aloha shanti,
wow, i do feel lucky that i found your blog with your magical work! congratulations to your achievements with your impressive art work and blog. please be invited and pay my blog a visit. i'd be delighted to hear from you with a comment. by the way, hawaii is definitely a place to capture some special images. aloha, pua
p.s.
i will stay in touch with your blog. please, do the same with mine. i am just adding favorite blogs and will include yours.

Rosemary said...

I don't paint, as I don't have a creative gene in me, but I do find the technical explanation interesting. Lovely art, as always.