Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Mouse in the house - A painting a day


The day started out at sunrise with a great cup of coffee and a walk with the dogs. Headed off for up town (that’s what they call down town in Charlotte) for my life drawing session which I host every Saturday morning at 8:30. It was a surprisingly warm day and the streets were deserted. I thought no one was going to show up, when the model finally wondered in at 8:30. No one else had arrived. Hmmn, thinking it was just one of those fall days when no one could get out of bed, I figured I’d send the model home. Of course a few stragglers showed up at the last minute, and we finally get into drawing at about 9 am. When I got home I realized I had left my Camera, Oh great. I had to call over to the gallery to make sure someone could put it away for me till tomorrow morning when I’ll be back in Charlotte (NC). Still, things were’t going too bad. I figure I ‘ll have plenty of time to paint, and do my usual sat. chores. This painting a day thing can get to you cause you always feel a little pressure to create a masterpiece, yet you have to have it on-line and posted by 12:00 midnight. It’s like your blog turns into a pumpkin if you miss the deadline.
I had painted some vegetables yesterday and wasn’t in the mood for more, and after looking thru the paintings on the daily painter’s blog, I decided I would paint some fruit. I figured, I didn’t need to buy grapes, I could paint them from memory. (geese I’m lazy) I did spend many hours in a vineyard around grapes. So, I paint this little stem. It looks a bit lonely then I paint three grapes. This will never do, I need to figure out a composition. Why do I always have to have a plan..I guess I work this way because I’m used to planning my compositions when painting in the direct manner and its difficult for me to change.

I let the three grapes sit there on the stark white paper, right there on my table. I have stuff to do. More dog walks, phone calls and errands. You know, pretty much what we all spend half our lives doing and the things that make up most of our day. People ask “what’d you do today?” How do you say “nothing” when you were busy all day, but none of it is interesting enough to discuss in a conversation. You like to talk books, cinema, heck, even current events, but your day is filled with picking up clothes at the cleaners, getting manure at the hardware store, and buying cheweeze for the dogs.
Later I come back to the drawing table and there are the three grapes and for whatever reason, I decide to let the painting tell me what to draw. I look at the stark white paper and the three tiny grapes. I start to envision this little mouse. I can see him clear as anything, like he’s right there. I have to paint him, he’s insistent. Sometimes he stands up like you see in the painting and other times he just sitting there looking up at the grapes. Sort of animated and yet life like. Maybe I was just tired. Whatever, I thank my muse for giving me a little help. So here he is folks. The picture is a litle dark, the background should be white. I had to use my #2 camera.

Its about six o'clock and its time for dinner so I'm just happy I have posted my mouse and hope all of you have a great Sunday. I think I'll sleep in.


BID NOW

No comments: