Sunday, March 04, 2007

Dreaming of Spring - a painting a day

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love flowers but I don't paint them as often as I once did because there is a bit of a stigma for women watercolorists who paint flowers. They sometimes are not taken seriously as artists. There are several reasons for this. One, lots of women paint in watercolors who are not serious artists, and two, many of these women paint flowers. Since there are so many Sunday painters who are women who paint flowers, those of us who are serious artists can tend to shy away from painting too may pretty flowers. This isn't true for all serious artists but since I do enter juried shows and assist in the judging of shows, I have heard a number of comments from these judges regarding beautifully executed watercolors which they considered a bit saccharin. Animals first and flowers second will usually be quickly dismissed. I also know this to be true from conversations I have had with many artists who paint animals, or flowers. Which is just silly, but you cannot deny that there isn't a preconceived notion that abstract paintings are somehow more intellectually stimulating then a still life of roses in a vase. I know that this thread of conversation will bring to me a variety of remarks about someone, somewhere who won first place with their florals. I always state that in art, there are always exceptions. I may be sensitive, I know that I can be when it comes to my art. I also know from my work on juried shows and working side by side with various judges, what seems to win competitions routinely and what doesn't.

No matter where you sit on this topic or if your on the fence, I will continue to paint a floral once in a while. Just as I paint, landscapes, animals, still lifes, figures and abstracts. I will always enjoy painting flowers but I will not paint only flowers for this reason.

The size of this painting is 11 by 15, It is for sale for $250.00 with a white double mat. Shipping is 7.50
This is 11 by 15 and is for sale

No comments: