Sunday, September 10, 2006

Angel's Trumpets', One Artist's story














At an exhibit of my paintings, I met a whole Gaggle of designers and two of them give me a commission. I don't know how you feel about commissions but I haven't always had the best of luck with them.
Here how it went: The designer asks me if I would paint a painting just like the one I had in the show but with different colors. I explain the inherent problem in planning any watercolor painting and that no two are exact. That's the beauty of it. Even the artist can't always paint the same painting. I say this indicating it has to do with my style of painting. Which is direct painting over a wet and wet underpainting which has been glazed over to bring it all together. Since I respond to the painting as it goes along rather then have a definate plan, the painting will be a good painting but may not look exacly like the one she saw in the show. If she understood that, I would try to match her "colors" if she could bring in a swatch of fabric.
We meet and I go over the size and the price and make sure she understands what it will look like as much as possible. I also have several other paintings with me of the same series and we discuss what she likes about each. I take her swatches and paint a rough draft of the painting and we meet again to see if the colors are good and the composition as she wishes. She is estactic everything is wonderful yes, go ahead and finish the painting. Several weeks later, we meet again and she tells me , (remember this is after a drawing, a rough painting and now a complete painting), that she wanted it in the landscape format. The original and all the others she had seen were done in a portrait format. Did she mention wanted it in a landscape format, ever? No. I think not. So I go home, paint another painting and that painting is my painting for today. You can see it is rather nice and has a good feel, her colors were wonderful and I was glad that I didn't get angry with her. While all this was going on she picked out another of my completed gold fish paintings and purchased it for the same home. She was going to put it in the bathroom. I didn't care, better in someones home, even if it may sit over the toilet, than gathering dust.
I also have a small postcard painting I painted last night,and will put it up later but this story is a perfect example why painters don't like commissions. Oh yes, The name of the painting is
"Angel's Trumpets"

3 comments:

ANDREW TAYLOR said...

Odd juxtaposition of purple/pink against greens, but it really works to make an ethereal image, for those Angels.

ANDREW TAYLOR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ANDREW TAYLOR said...

Oops, sorry posted that twice so removed one of them!