Saturday, September 16, 2006

Drawing every day- a little goes a long way















This painting is a tribute to Arleta Pech, a wonderful teacher.

As an artist that had to put art aside to raise a child many years a go, I know what it's like to leave it all behind for awhile. I think people who say they cannot do their “art” because of time constraints should consider drawing for ten or fifteen minutes each day. It makes no difference how the drawings turn out or what it is that you draw. The act of drawing every day will help you keep in touch with your creative self. I wish I had just kept a sketch book in my bag and at every Dr's appointment, car pool line, park bench, or dance lesson I could have been drawing. Raising kids is rush, rush, rush, wait, wait, wait. I had to wait for something all the time (Its amazing how much waiting you do). I know now that drawing keeps your mind in the creative mode and your art may have to wait but it can be built on the framework of your drawings and experiences. When your ready and have more time, you'll be able to step back into whatever creative work you wish. Until then, you’ll be developing your eye, your ability to see light, shadow, form and value. What every artist spends years doing anyway.
What are you waiting for ? Put a sketch book in your purse, diaper bag, or trunk. If your a writer same thing, but make it a journal. Oh yeah, I forgot, you will have to get over people watching you... it takes some practice but it won't take long. Good Luck!

2 comments:

ANDREW TAYLOR said...

A pleasing work and composition. I like the strong contrasts between light and dark, the broad loose spaces of colour against the very delicate painting of the flowerheads and lace work.
(Also sound advice about trying to keep a sketch book going)

Christina said...

This is just wonderful! The background colors really bring focus to your subject, the daisies are very well done and I love the light pastels on the vase. You used a variety of colors from rich darks to soft pastels but it isn't busy.